Are you tried of all the noise in your life? Do you need some silence so you can connect with God? Friends of Blessed Earth, Centenary United Methodist Church in Winston Salem, North Carolina are hosting their “Big Silence Retreat.” It is a four-day mostly silent retreat.The Retreat is January 17-20, 2016.
Here is Centenary’s description of the event with registration information:
You are invited to experience big spaces of solitude and silence in community for the purpose of tending the inner fire of your soul. Inspired by the documentary The Big Silence with Abbot Christopher Jamison (watch this video about silence,www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDEYaLfhSkQ), and encouraged by several Clergy School of the Spirit students, this 4-day mostly silent retreat will be grounded in the modern classic The Way of the Heart by Henri Nouwen. Since it was first published more than twenty years ago, The Way of the Heart has helped millions of men and women cast off the anger and greed that trouble the world––and find love, compassion and peace in the heart of God.
Through Nouwen’s guidance, this retreat clears before us a spiritual path consisting of three stepping stones: Solitude (learning not to be alone but to be alone with God); Silence (the discipline by which the inner fire of God is tended and kept alive); and Prayer (standing in the presence of God with the mind in the heart).
We will . . .
- Experience community and conversation on Sunday as we prepare our hearts and minds to enter into The Big Silence.
- Nurture trust as we seek to move/stumble/fumble our way into the heart of Christ.
- Deepen our contemplative grounding through brief daily teachings/readings to help break through obstacles and illuminate The Way of the Heart.
- Expand our capacity to listen to God through prayer, wisdom, and silence.
- Explore optional opportunities to connect with God in the spaciousness of silence: walking the labyrinth; soaking in the beauty of nature; the sacred art of mandalas; one-on-one and/or small group processing; iconic images; and praying the Divine Hours in community—Morning, Midday, Vespers (evening), and Compline (before bed).
Place: St. Francis Springs Prayer Center, Stoneville, NC (www.stfrancissprings.com)
When: Arrival Sunday, January 17 between 3:00 and 3:30 p.m. Retreat begins at 4:00 p.m. and concludes Wednesday, January 20 at 2:30 p.m.
Leaders: Rev. Jonathan Brake and Rev. Dianne Lawhorn, Directors of Spiritual Formation
Cost: $500 by December 15, 2015
$525 after December 15, 2015
(Cost includes tuition, private room, and meals. Sixteen single rooms available.)
Registration Deadline: Friday, January 8, 2016. Early registration is HIGHLY suggested. This retreat is often sold out a month prior to the deadline.
Registration: CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW ONLINE
CANCELLATION POLICY: With your registration a room will be reserved for you at the Center. You are responsible for your entire cost of the retreat unless your space can be filled, in which case, your money will be refunded (less a $50 processing fee).